The Online Safety Education for Families (OSEF) program is a program of Oak Hill United Methodist Church Community Ministries. The following presentation has been developed by the OHUMC Human Trafficking Committee.
We believe we can keep our children and youth safer through educating families on how to maintain internet safety in the midst of these dangers:
– Exposure to Inappropriate Materials
– Negative Peer Pressure
– Online Predators
– Human Trafficking
As a Community Ministry of Oak Hill UMC Human Trafficking Committee, we would be happy to bring this presentation to you at your location. This presentation is a gift, there is no charge.
The presenters have professional backgrounds in communications, homeland security and mediation, school nursing and counseling.
PARENTS will learn answers to the following questions:
– How do you talk to your child about the internet?
– What does your child know about the internet that you don’t know?
– What sites should you be aware of today?
– What can you do to keep your child internet savvy and safe?
Following the presentation will be time for questions. The presentation is relevant to all online usage such as cell phones, tablets, and computers. If you are interested in having our OSEF team present to your group, or would like more program info, please contact: Beth Abel or Cathy Herzog
Resources mentioned in the presentation:
- Pew Research Center study on “Parents, Teens and Digital Monitoring“
- Love 146 safety guide for parents
- Common Sense Media Family Media Agreements
- Talking to your kids about online safety
- New York Times piece on Privacy Settings
- Love 146 Internet Safety Guide
- Facebook study on how teenagers view their smartphones
- Open DNS home internet security
- Operating Systems Parental Controls
- NetNanny Parental Control Site Blocker
- New York Times article on safeguarding a child’s mobile device
- Browser solutions to make the Internet safer
- Zipit app
- SendThisInstead app
- How churches can help parents protect kids (from United Methodist Communications)
Download the OSEF flyer.